Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 3 (7/30/21)
1. Welcome Back, Fans: For the first time since 2019, fans were able to attend training camp for the Cleveland Browns in Berea. According to Hayden Grove of Cleveland.com, some fans were a bit crazy and were hanging out outside Berea at 7:00 AM (practice doesn’t start until 2:25 PM).
2. Temporary Measures for Fans: Due to the ongoing pandemic, there were some adjustments to how fans enter training camp this year, to keep them contained to a certain area that is away from players and coaches. This year, fans enter from the front of Berea:
As I said previously, all fans will have to sit in the grandstand bleachers this year. You also have your typical group of fans who chant every player’s name on the first day of camp.
3. Healthy Returns: In addition to WR Odell Beckham practicing again, WR Rashard Higgins was going to give it a go too, along with a couple of new members of the secondary:
#Browns HC Kevin Stefanski said WR Rashard Higgins is going to try to practice today after sitting out with rolled ankle and CB Troy Hill and rookie S Richard LeCounte III are good to go coming off illnesses— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 30, 2021
4. Drill of the Day: Here is an up-close-and-personal look at the Browns’ defensive linemen getting out of their stance:
5. Have to Hang On: Dropped passes became a concern for TE Harrison Bryant last year, and he had one today on a nice pass from QB Case Keenum, according to Zac Jackson of The Athletic:
Case Keenum with the best throw of camp to this point, a deep sideline line route to Harrison Bryant that goes through Bryant’s hands.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 30, 2021
6. DPJ Featured Early: WR Donovan Peoples-Jones appears to be finding his comfort zone early in camp. We saw him with a nice grab on Day 1, and here is a flag route that QB Baker Mayfield connected with him on:
7. A.J. Green With the Breakup: Last year, we heard a lot about CB A.J. Green in training camp, but we didn’t see much of him during the regular season. Here he is making a nice play getting his hand in front of the receiver on a pass by QB Baker Mayfield, and then LB Elijah Lee being the beneficiary of a pick six.
8. Backup WR Competition: Beyond all of the “known” receivers, Zac Jackson of The Athletic says that WR Alexander Hollins has been the best of the bunch:
Past the (loaded) first tier, the receiver who’s easily been the best of the next group is Alexander Hollings. He played for Stefanski in Minnesota and the Browns signed him off the Vikings practice squad last December.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 30, 2021
Although shortly after that, QB Baker Mayfield connected with WR Ja’Marcus Bradley on a flag route:
Baker to Ja’Marcus Bradley for six pic.twitter.com/vKuHYEK3Ai— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) July 30, 2021
One more late bit of news: WR Derrick Willies appears to have retired. The announcement came after practice:
The Browns placed WR Derrick Willies on the reserve/retired list.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) July 30, 2021
9. Brownies: RB D’Ernest Johnson returned to practice after a couple of days off with the birth of his child. ... CB Denzel Ward bulked up a tad in the offseason, now weighing 190 pounds after being between 183-185 a year ago. ... LG Joel Bitonio said that DT Jordan Elliott “transformed his body in the offseason and looks step quicker.” ... GM Andrew Berry said that 100% of coaches and staff are vaccinated, while over 90% of players are vaccinated. ... DE Takk McKinley walked off the field with trainers, but it didn’t appear to be serious. ... S Ronnie Harrison had to walk off later in practice with trainers, as they were checking out his knee. ... The Puppy Pound has returned!
For the 7th consecutive year, the @Browns Puppy Pound returned to training camp. A total of 5 dogs were adopted today. Since the program’s launch in 2015, 577 puppies from the Northeast Ohio Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) have been adopted by Browns fans.— Dan Murphy (@DMurph_BrownsPR) July 30, 2021
11. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Saturday at 2:25 PM ET.