Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 4 (7/31/21)
1. John Johnson Makes Presence Known: The player of the day was S John Johnson III, the team’s big free agent signing this offseason. In the clip below, he wrestles the ball away from TE David Njoku for an interception against QB Baker Mayfield. (Note: to be fair, this was a judgment call where both Njoku and Johnson had it, so an official could’ve ruled differently).
John Johnson III interception pic.twitter.com/FOOeb4P0uT— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) July 31, 2021
Later on in practice, he missed another interception and did push-ups as a self-punishment. Here’s a clip of the breakup that Johnson couldn’t snag:
2. Parkey Back on Track: The kickers were back at it on Saturday, but after a rough session on Thursday, K Cody Parkey was 6-of-6 on his field goals today. Per Zac Jackson of The Athletic, Parkey made both his extra point tries, and then connected on field goals of 30, 35, 38, 41, and 43 yards. K Chase McLaughlin was 5-of-6, only missing the final attempt from 43 yards out.
3. Felton With Some Work: Do the Browns have plans to work rookie Demetric Felton into some plays this season? According to Zac Jackson of The Athletic, Felton had a couple of reps with the first-team offense. Speaking of Felton, he is also part of the kick return rotation, along with RB D’Ernest Johnson and WR Donovan Peoples-Jones.
QB Baker Mayfield to RB/WR Demetric Felton pic.twitter.com/I8oxuhu5Cf— Brad Stainbrook (@BrownsByBrad) July 31, 2021
4. A.J. Green Continues His Rise: Per ESPN’s Jake Trotter, CB A.J. Green had another slid day and is being worked in to some first-team reps (especially if a player like CB Denzel Ward gets some rest). Trotter highlighted a play on Saturday in which WR Jarvis Landry couldn’t shake the young cornerback on a curl route, leading to an incompletion.
5. Tripping Penalty: Here is DE Jadeveon Clowey drawing a 15-yard tripping penalty during drills (kidding, of course). With DE Myles Garrett having a rest day, the first-team defensive ends were Clowney and DE Takk McKinley. McKinley left practice early again, and was replaced by DE Porter Gustin.
Drills are hard sometimes.— FromTheStadium (@FromTheStadium_) July 31, 2021
Just ask Jadeveon Clowney pic.twitter.com/XF8usVz2M8
6. Chubb’s Extension: Early in the morning, Dan Murphy, the Browns’ PR guy, was taking RB Nick Chubb for a photoshoot. Maybe they knew the star running back would be inking his three-year contract extension with the team following practice.
7. Locking Up DePodesta: Even though it’s not training camp news, Jimmy and Dee Haslam spoke with the media at camp today, and one of the nuggets they unveiled is that Paul DePodesta received a 5-year contract extension last year:
#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta received a five-year contract extension in 2020 to align with the deals of GM Andrew Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski. Jimmy said the fit between the three of them has been even better than expected— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) July 31, 2021
The Haslams also said they have been buying property around Berea to expnd the headquarters, which goes along with what I heard after doing my YouTube walk around Berea this past January.
8. Brownies: Defensive line coach Chris Kiffin said that DT Andrew Billings “is the strongest guy I’ve ever seen” and that Billings lost 20 pounds in the offseason. ... S Ronnie Harrison did not practice after injuring his hamstring yesterday. ... The Browns signed WR Davion Davis to take the spot of retired WR Derrick Willies. ... WR Ja’Marcus Bradley beat QB Brian Allen for a touchdown on a pass from QB Kyle Lauletta. ... DE Takk McKinley left Friday’s practice early with an illness (vomiting), and he also left Saturday’s practice early. ... A total of 15 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns are off on Sunday. They will resume practice on Monday at 2:25 PM ET, in front of fans. The first padded practice will take place on Tuesday.