- Dee and Jimmy Haslam rave about Nick Chubb on and off the field (Browns Zone) - Owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam are leaving contract extensions to general manager Andrew Berry, but they made it clear they’re big fans of running back Nick Chubb.
- Paul DePodesta, Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski’s contracts are aligned (cleveland.com) - Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam spoke highly of Paul DePodesta in a press conference prior to Saturday’s training camp practice at the newly-minted CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. Jimmy Haslam also confirmed DePodesta will be with the organization for a long time and his contract matches 5-year deals given to Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski.
- Andrew Billings loses weight, keeps amazing strength (Browns Wire) - The Cleveland Browns not only added players via free agency and had guys returning from injury but also added players to the 2021 roster who opted out of last year due to COVID-19 concerns. Defensive tackle Andrew Billings is now expected to step in as the team’s starting nose tackle/1-technique. His role is primarily to eat up blockers and hold the line of scrimmage while allowing other defenders to penetrate. If blocked one on one, Billings is expected to use his strength to push the pocket up the middle and blow up plays.
- Haslams have not spoken to Paul Dolan about minority baseball ownership (Beacon Journal) - For over two years, the Cleveland baseball team has been looking for a minority investor who would bring a needed infusion of cash to boost player payroll. Browns co-owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam, who head the Haslam Sports Group, do not appear to be coming to the rescue.
- Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice (NFL.com) - “The Minnesota Vikings are expected to be without three quarterbacks, including starter Kirk Cousins, for tonight’s practice following rookie QB Kellen Mond testing positive for COVID-19, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported.
- Devonta Freeman signs one-year deal with Saints (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) - Former Falcons running back Devonta Freeman, who helped the team reach Super Bowl LI after the 2016 regular season, agreed to a one-year deal with the rival New Orleans Saints on Saturday, his agent Drew Rosenhaus told Pro Football Talk.
- Former Jets Joe Namath and Winston Hill: A rose, a scotch and a Hall of Fame friendship (ESPN) - The 50-year friendship between the famous quarterback and his trusted protector was born at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, 1965. Joe Namath, recovering from knee surgery, hadn’t played a down in the NFL yet. He was 21, already rich because of a landmark contract with the New York Jets, but he felt helpless and alone in a new city. There was a knock at the door and in walked Winston Hill, the team’s hulking left tackle.
- Ravens add pass rusher Justin Houston on one-year deal (baltimoreravens.com) - After months of speculation, the Ravens have made it happen, agreeing to termswith veteran pass rusher Justin Houston on a one-year deal Saturday, pending the passing of a physical. The deal, which was struck after three days of training camp practice, has been a long time coming, as Houston first visited the Ravens in April.