Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 11 (8/10/21)
1. Growing Injury List: It shouldn’t be a surprise that the injury list grew a bit after the Orange & Brown Scrimmage, leading up to the team’s first preseason game. The latest injuries includes DE Myles Garrett (hamstring), TE David Njoku (shoulder), CB Denzel Ward (soreness), and OG Blake Hance (ankle). On a positive note, LB Anthony Walker returned to individual drills.
2. Drill of the Day: Here is a shot of WR Odell Beckham Jr. hanging on to a hot pass in individual drills:
3. Take Advantage of the Resting Players: You never know how many opportunities you’ll get to work with the first-teamers. LG Joel Bitonio had the day off on Tuesday, so LG Michael Dunn, who filled in well during the first playoff game last year, got a crack at it.
4. Reading the Receiver: Here is a shot of our rookie cornerback, Greg Newsome, staying with WR KhaDarel Hodge and timing the breakup despite not turning to spot the ball:
5. Mack Wilson Keeping it Up: As a rookie, LB Mack Wilson made a ton of noise with his pass defense. After a very lackluster 2020 campaign, Wilson’s instincts in pass coverage has returned for camp in 2021, such as this breakup against the tight end:
6. Heating Up: Is the kicker competition heating up a bit? K Cody Parkey missed a short one, while K Chase McLaughlin was perfect again.
Kicking today:— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 10, 2021
Chase McLaughlin: 30R ✅, 34R ✅, 39L ✅, 42L ✅
Cody Parkey: 30R ❌, 34R ✅, 39L ✅, 42L ✅ pic.twitter.com/ThKYUFUeSv
7. Play of the Day: S John Johnson III continues to show his playmaking skills, poking a ball free from RB Kareem Hunt, and then taking it to the house for a touchdown.
John Johnson III looks to be the best off-season addition, with all due respect to Jadeveon Clowney. Made another big play today and the lone highlight of this practice - 25ish-yard scoop and score off a Kareem Hunt fumble #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 10, 2021
8. Brownies: C JC Tretter limped off after being rolled up on by RB Kareem Hunt, but appeared OK and returned a little later. ... TE Austin Hooper rebounded with a solid day of practice. ... DT Marvin Wilson left the field with a trainer. ... A total of 43 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Wednesday at 2:25 PM.