Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 13 (8/12/21)
1. Hot Day in Berea: After showers in the morning, the skies cleared for a sunny afternoon in Cleveland. However, it was the hottest practice day of the year, with the temperature around 89 degrees, but the “feels like” temperature up near 98 degrees, making it a sweltering practice. Practice also started an hour earlier, due to possible thunderstorms in the evening (even though they never came).
2. Prepping the Youngsters: Prior to practice, head coach Kevin Stefanski announced that most of the team’s starters will not play in the first preseason game on Saturday. A couple of players coming off of injury, like CB Greedy Williams and OL Chris Hubbard, will play — as will rookies like CB Greg Newsome and LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.
3. Drill of the Day: The defensive linemen aren’t going full throttle here, but are trying to work on their moves to get by blockers:
#Browns D Line doing some individual walk through pic.twitter.com/YJ0sADMit9— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) August 12, 2021
4. Two-Minute Success: QB Baker Mayfield capped off a two-minute drill by hitting TE Austin Hooper in the corner of the end zone for a 10-yard touchdown, off of a blown coverage. Jake Burns of The OBR speculates that it was CB Greedy Williams who missed the assignment.
Baker Mayfield finds a wide-open Austin Hooper for the TD with :07 left on the clock in the 2-minute drill. #Browns pic.twitter.com/ZzQ0QlpCuj— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) August 12, 2021
5. Kicking Competition: The kickers finally got some attempts in from 50 yards out. While both kickers nailed their long attempt, K Cody Parkey missed from 45 yards, while K Chase McLaughlin missed one from 36 yards.
Both kickers 4-5 in team FG period— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 12, 2021
Parkey hit from 33, 36, 39 & 50; missed from 45
McLaughlin hit from 33, 39, 45 & 50, missed from 36 #Browns
6. Baker Mayfield on the Scout Defense: Follow the red jersey — that’s QB Baker Mayfield — among other starters on offense — playing the scout team defense to emulate the Jaguars’ offense. WR Odell Beckham played some cornerback, and RG Wyatt Teller got to be a nickelback.
Baker Mayfield (35) making plays on defense. pic.twitter.com/13Uo8q7mCM— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 12, 2021
7. Brownies: CB M.J. Stewart did not practice with a hamstring injury. ... CB Denzel Ward remained out with “soreness.” ... The players waved to and thanked fans after practice. ... TE Harrison Bryant caught a flag pass during practice, but clearly extended his hands to the back of the defender just before the catch for a push-off. ... A total of 43 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
8. Next Up: The Browns will not practice on Friday, as they get ready to head to Florida for Saturday’s preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The next practice is Tuesday, August 17.