|DL||Curtis Weaver||40||60%||2 tackles (2 combined).|
|DL||Tommy Togiai||38||57%||No stats registered.|
|DL||Jordan Elliott||36||54%||1 assist (1 combined).|
|DL||Joe Jackson||34||51%||2 tackles (2 combined).|
|DL||Cameron Malveaux||28||42%||1 tackle (1 combined).|
|DL||Marvin Wilson||26||39%||No stats registered.|
|DL||Romeo McKnight||22||33%||1 tackle (1 combined).|
|DL||Sheldon Day||13||19%||2 tackles (2 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH, 1 FF.|
|DL||Andrew Billings||11||16%||1 tackle (1 combined).|
|DL||Porter Gustin||10||15%||1 tackle (1 combined). 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QH.|
|DL||Damion Square||9||13%||No stats registered.|
- It’s a little hard for me to assess the defensive line in a preseason game, but I saw a few analysts on Twitter frowning on the performance of Andrew Billings against the run.
- Tommy Togiai didn’t log any stats, but he was in coverage on one play, forcing the quarterback to throw the ball to the dirt instead of the running back.
|LB||Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah||47||70%||7 tackles, 1 assist (8 combined). 1 sack, 3 TFL, 1 QH.|
|LB||Elijah Lee||41||61%||4 tackles, 2 assists (6 combined).|
|LB||Jacob Phillips||23||34%||1 assist (1 combined).|
|LB||Sione Takitaki||18||27%||2 tackles (2 combined).|
|LB||Malcolm Smith||11||16%||1 tackle, 1 assist (2 combined).|
|LB||Mack Wilson||4||6%||No stats registered.|
- They are catching the rookie up fast. Some of his extended playing time may have been due to the early injury to LB Mack Wilson, but JOK dazzled in his first preseason action. Obviously, we’ll have to wait and see how he does against regular season action, but you love to see the speed and finishing ability he brings to the table. If you’re defensive coordinator Joe Woods, you absolutely have to find a role for JOK on defense, even if it’s just based on this one performance, for his playmaking ability.
JOK earned an impressive 78.1 PFF grade across 47 defensive snaps (36 in the box) against Jacksonville. He showed great sideline-to-sideline speed and totaled a whopping seven defensive stops, including an impressive tackle at the line of scrimmage on a late fourth-quarter screen pass.
JOK comes on the field for the first time at 8:34 in 2Q. First three plays....— Jake Burns (@jake_burns18) August 15, 2021
1stD: WZ D-Gap fit to perfection--solo "stop" tackle
2nd&9: QUICK Gap fit vs Power--turns RB in, sheds puller, in on the tackle
3rd&6: A-Agap blitz--dips under RB protection. Sack
Ridiculous. #Browns pic.twitter.com/FeNaJzHhAI
- Out of all the units, this was the closest group to seeing the “starters” so-to-speak. I expect a lot of these guys to work into the rotation, much like a year ago.
|CB||Robert Jackson||45||67%||6 tackles (6 combined).|
|CB||Kiondre Thomas||36||54%||4 tackles, 1 assist (5 combined).|
|CB||A.J. Green||31||46%||1 assist (1 combined). 1 INT, 1 fumble recovery.|
|CB||Brian Allen||22||33%||No stats registered.|
|CB||Emmanuel Rugamba||22||33%||2 tackles (2 combined).|
|CB||Greedy Williams||18||27%||1 tackle (1 combined).|
|CB||Greg Newsome||18||27%||2 tackles (2 combined).|
- A.J. Green received a grade of 79.6. Cleveland may have gotten deeper in the secondary this year, but they’ll have to find a way to stash Green on the roster.
- All I’ll say right now is that I’m glad Greedy Williams is back and getting some more experience. He hasn’t seen a lot of game action, so I’m not trying to knock him too much. However, I will say that he needs to start doing a little more than just being in the area or having close coverage when quarterbacks throw his way — he needs to come up with some stops.
- Greg Newsome also made his debut and allowed a catch on an extended play, although he showed his ballhawking nature by trying to rip the ball for an interception. The officials awarded possession to the offense.
|S||Jovante Moffatt||51||76%||3 tackles, 1 assist (4 combined).|
|S||Elijah Benton||46||69%||1 assist (1 combined).|
|S||Richard LeCounte||37||55%||2 tackles (2 combined). 1 sack, 1 QH, 1 INT, 2 passes defended.|
- Richard LeCounte had a grade of 90.4, the highest on defense in his 37 snaps. He had the interception to end of the half (which is somewhat of a cheap stat), but he also nearly had an interception earlier in the half and made a good impression to warrant a further look at a time when other safeties were out to injury or resting.