Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 16 (8/19/21)
1. Welcoming the New York Giants: The Giants arrived in town for the first of two practice sessions with the Browns in Berea. Only the media was in attendance to watch, sitting by themselves in the grandstand bleachers that the fans would usually be sitting in. It was also reunion day for WR Odell Beckham and his former teammates (and the same goes for QB Kyle Lauletta, who was drafted by the Giants). Former Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens is also a senior offensive assistant for New York.
I wish the Browns would have invited fans to attend camp for these sessions too. They certainly would’ve been in demand; and heck, they probably could’ve done something like charged $5 a ticket and donated the proceeds to a good cause too.
Overall, the practice seemed to be dominated by Cleveland:
Watching this practice is like watching the varsity play the freshmen and the #Browns are the varsity— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 19, 2021
2. Garrett Breaks Machine: DE Myles Garrett and DE Jadeveon Clowney were having a competition with the exercise machine, and Garrett broke his:
3. Njoku Wins the 1-on-1 Battles: It was a highlight-reel day for TE David Njoku and WR Jarvis Landry against the Giants’ defense. Let’s start with Njoku, who was putting on a clinic of winning corner routes, including this 1-on-1 match-up with former Browns SS Jabrill Peppers:
Njoku has so much damn talent, man. hoping this is the season he puts it all together pic.twitter.com/hikgtPeVfH— Jordan Zirm (@JordanZirm) August 19, 2021
4. Mayfield to Landry in Team Drills: The solid day for WR Jarvis Landry came in team drills on passes from QB Baker Mayfield. Let’s absorb all of the highlights:
5. Higgins Walks the Red Carpet: Each team ran a two-minute drill to close out practice. During the Browns’ drill, when there was six seconds left, QB Baker Mayfield rolled to his right to buy time, and then heaved it to the middle of the end zone, where WR Rashard Higgins came down with the touchdown amidst a crowd of Giants defenders; although head coach Kevin Stefanski said afterward that the play could have been deemed a sack too.
6. The Rookie Ends It: To cap off Cleveland’s dominant practice, when it was QB Daniel Jones’ turn to operate the two-minute offense, he was picked off by CB Greg Newsome.
7. Thin at Linebacker: A pair of Cleveland’s young linebackers, Jacob Phillips and Sione Takitaki, exited practice early with injury, which left plenty of first-team reps for JOK.
8. Brownies: LT Jedrick Wills had his ankle rolled on yesterday, but still practiced today. ... CB Troy Hill is working as the first-team and second-team slot corner, due to depth issues. ... The Giants supposedly ran sprints after practice. ... DE Takk McKinley is still away for personal reasons. ... Here is a clip of SS Jabrill Peppers talking about the friendly banter between he and his old teammates:
9. Next Up: The Browns and Giants will have another joint practice on Friday at 2:25 PM.