Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 5 (8/2/21)
1. The Walking Wounded: A day before the pads are supposed to go on, injury news lingered over the defensive side of the team. Toward the end of practice, LB Anthony Walker limped off the field as his leg/knee were being looked at.
#Browns LB Anthony Walker headed in. Got shaken up during a team drill. Came to sideline and tried to stretch out on his own before trainer came to look at his right leg before deciding to go inside. pic.twitter.com/stKTVi2LSw— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 2, 2021
S Sheldrick Redwine had his ankle taped up after going to the sideline. C J.C. Tretter did not practice due to an illness, so backup C Nick Harris filled in for him. DE Takkarist McKinley remained out with an illness. Meanwhile, S Ronnie Harrison remained out with his hamstring injury, and WR Anthony Schwartz was also on the stationary bike.
2. Drill of the Day: Here is an interesting drill that I haven’t seen in camp before — there is a harness attached to the football, and RB Nick Chubb has to hang onto the ball. The harness acts as if someone from behind is trying to rip the ball away from him.
Nick Chubb is first through a drill designed to mimic a defender trying to rip the ball from his grasp. #Browns pic.twitter.com/FkfORwu9pX— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) August 2, 2021
3. Good to See OBJ: There’s nothing flashy about this particular clip, but it’s great to see WR Odell Beckham Jr. continue to be able to run and make cuts at this level:
OBJ back today after sitting out last practice as part of his planned rehab schedule pic.twitter.com/8yTmraEn49— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 2, 2021
4. Mayfield With a Strong Day: I don’t know if we mentioned that WR Rashard Higgins is back, but he is. Per Hayden Grove of Cleveland.com, QB Baker Mayfield connected with both Higgins and WR KhaDarel Hodge during 11-on-11 drills on some deep passes. Mayfield wanted to keep the trend going with WR Alexander Hollins, but he was unable to hang on to this deep ball:
Baker Mayfield threw a beautiful deep pass that went right through the hands of Alexander Hollins. #Browns pic.twitter.com/Wi3LaWduzC— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) August 2, 2021
Mayfield ended practice on a high note too:
Baker Mayfield went 4-4 in his last session of team. Found Landry, DPJ and Njoku. #Browns— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 2, 2021
5. Garrett and Clowney are Ready: It was a solid day for the tandem of DE Myles Garrett and DE Jadeveon Clowney. Tom Withers of the AP noted that Clowney blew by RT Jack Conklin in a 1-on-1 drill. Grove said that LT Jedrick Wills, TE Austin Hooper, and TE David Njoku “had problems” with Garrett and Clowney.
6. Brownies: Rookie LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is close to returning after being sidelined with COVID-19 or being in contact with someone who had it. ... This weekend’s Orange & Brown Scrimmage will be more like a practice than a scrimmage. ... LB Anthony Walker has changed his jersey number from No. 54 to No. 4.
7. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Tuesday at 2:25 PM. It will be their first padded practice of camp.