Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 17 (8/20/21)
1. Squaring Up? We “think” we got our first attempt at a fight in training camp, as WR Sterling Shepard and CB Troy Hill got into it at the conclusion of practice. It doesn’t appear that either player landed any punches, and there wasn’t a big scrum to break it up. Even head coach Kevin Stefanski wasn’t aware of the fight when he was asked about it after practice.
Not sure yet what preceded this, but here's a photo of Browns CB Troy Hill winding up and throwing a punch at Giants WR Sterling Shepard (credit Ron Schwane/AP).— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) August 20, 2021
Not sure how wild it was, but teammates are standing there watching and not much reacting. pic.twitter.com/l4neq15HBm
The reason we said “think” is because LB Anthony Walker said that they were just goofing around. Hmmmm.
Now, Anthony Walker tells me Troy Hill and the Giants player were just playing around… ♂️— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 20, 2021
2. Same as Last Week: As far as playing time goes for this Sunday’s game, Stefanski said that it’ll be much of the same as last week. That means QB Baker Mayfield won’t play, and the rest of the starters are expected to sit again.
3. Garrett & Clowney Return to Practice: In somewhat of surprising news, the team’s star defensive ends, Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney, were both in pads and returned to practice today for individual drills only. CB Greedy Williams left practice before it could really get started and was diagnosed with a migraine.
DEs Myles Garrett & Jadeveon Clowney + WR Odell Beckham Jr. dressed in pads today #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 20, 2021
4. In His Sleep: Even though he won’t play on Sunday, QB Baker Mayfield got plenty of work the past two days against the Giants, which might as well serve as a game. He got off to a sharp start in 1-on-1 passing drills, as he completed all nine of his pass attempts against members of the Giants’ secondary.
5. Teams Getting Vocal: I mentioned the “fight” at the end of practice, but during team drills, things started to get chippy with more trash talking between players. After Cleveland dominated yesterday’s practice, the Giants’ players went nuts after they picked off a deep ball thrown by QB Case Keenum. Something also happened with S Ronnie Harrison that had the coaches talking to him:
Looked like Ronnie Harrison got taken out of practice when he got into middle of a scrum. Visibly agitated on sideline. Jeff Howard brought him over to Joe Woods for a conversation and now Harrison back.— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 20, 2021
Whatever it was, Harrison seemed to avenge it by picking off QB Daniel Jones in 7-on-7 drills.
#Browns LBs Anthony Walker Jr and Elijah Lee and DT Malik Jackson all got heated in 11 on 11 drills. As expected, intensity ratcheted up today.— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) August 20, 2021
SS Jabrill Peppers of the Giants also picked up the trash talking to QB Baker Mayfield, and WR Jarvis Landry reportedly chirped back and asked if he wanted to come back to Cleveland.
6. Parkey Connects: We haven’t heard much about the kickers lately, but according to Zac Jackson, K Cody Parkey was accurate from beyond 40 yards and up to 51 yards. K Chase McLaughlin was 4-of-5, missing wide right from 51 yards.
Parkey in the 40-45 range makes three straight. From 47, right down the middle. From 51, also right down the middle (not much to spare distance wise).— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 20, 2021
7. Brownies: Ohio Governor Mike DeWine was a guest at practice today. ... C Nick Harris left practice early with a lower leg injury, and with C J.C. Tretter getting the day off, OL Blake Hance filled in at center. ... LB Mack Wilson returned to team drills. ... Both teams failed to score in their two-minute drills, with sacks killing the drives. ... DE Porter Gustin left practice with a knee injury. ... Cleveland signed LB Willie Harvey Jr. and LB Montrel Meander. ... The team also waived RB Corey Taylor and WR JoJo Ward.
8. Next Up: The Browns will face the Giants this Sunday at 1:00 PM ET, and I will be there, thanks to tickets that I won after attending training camp. The Browns’ next practice session is Tuesday at 2:25 PM.