Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 6 (8/3/21)
1. First Day in Pads: Although the players weren’t hitting each other hard in pads, Tuesday’s practice marked the first padded practice of the 2021 campaign. One example of something different you saw with the pads going on are running backs and tight ends getting to work on more realistic pass-blocking drills:
2. JOK Debuts, While Walker Sits: During yesterday’s practice, LB Anthony Walker suffered a knee injury, but the word is that he will miss “a week or more” of action. If there’s ever a silver lining to anything, today was the debut of rookie LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, who began camp on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Walker’s absence figures to mean more opportunities for JOK to get up to speed. On Tuesday, he did individual drills only.
3. Drill of the Day: LB Jadeveon Clowney continued to win match-ups against the Browns’ right tackles on Tuesday, drawing rave reviews from multiple reporters. The clip below obviously doesn’t show that, but our “drill of the day” features Clowney in honor of his stellar play.
Jake Trotter of ESPN joked that Clowney would’ve had 20 sacks today with how often he was in the backfield every play.
4. Mayfield Continues His Groove: For the most part, QB Baker Mayfield continues to throw the ball well to his receivers this camp. We have several plays to show, starting with this anticipation throw in a tight window to WR Donovan Peoples-Jones against CB Denzel Ward:
And then, here is CB Brian Allen being beaten on an out-and-up by WR KhaDarel Hodge:
Baker to KhaDarel Hodge for the TD pic.twitter.com/iRf8zy8KQq— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 3, 2021
5. Kickers Stay Consistent: There are two kickers in camp, but the question is, is this Cody Parkey being the favorite and Chase McLaughlin just your competition kicker in camp, or is this a true battle between the two of them? Both continued to be on their game on Tuesday, each connecting on 5-of-5 of their attempts
6. A Little Bit of Frustration: While Mayfield was in a groove earlier, he was reportedly frustrated at his lack of success during 7-on-7 red zone drills. Once they got to team drills (11-on-11), Mayfield found TE Austin Hooper for a touchdown:
Baker Mayfield said “I don’t think the ones completed one f*cking pass in 7-on-7. F*cking ridiculous.”— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 3, 2021
First play of team: TD pass to Austin Hooper. #Browns
A little later, though, the defense continued their momentum as LB Mack Wilson made an athletic interception on a pass intended for TE David Njoku:
7. No Nothing for Walkthroughs: Two funny nuggets from ESPN’s Jake Trotter: before practice, the Browns are doing their walkthroughs barefooted; and during practice, one of the team’s two drones (to capture footage) hit a branch and crashed to the ground.
8. Brownies: DT Sheldon Day had at least some reps with the first-team defense. ... RB Tre Harbison was carted off during practice and has a concussion. ... Due to injuries or rest, S Jovante Moffatt and LB Jacob Phillips were with the first-team defense. ... TE Stephen Carlson is having his way with catching passes against backup defenders. ... RB John Kelly had several touchdowns. ... C J.C. Tretter was back after missing Monday’s practice with an illness. ... CB Robert Jackson missed practice with an illness. ... A total of 22 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
9. Next Up: The Browns will be back on the practice field Wednesday at 2:25 PM before having an off day on Thursday.