- Josh Allen’s $43 million-a-year contract extension is exactly why Baker Mayfield had to wait and, sources say, he still hasn’t had any substantive talks yet (cleveland.com) - Baker Mayfield got some eye-popping news shortly before he took the field for Day 8 of Browns training camp Friday. His Buffalo Bills counterpart and 2018 draft classmate Josh Allen got paid in a huge way, and it should boost Mayfield’s pricetag in upcoming negotiations.
- Mac Speedie spark helped Browns get too good for their league (Canton Repository) - Mac Speedie’s time-travel trek to Canton launched in Akron. Speedie turned into one of the main events in the show that was the new Cleveland Browns in 1946. The response to the team’s one and only practice game created as much excitement as a space shot to Jupiter. Otto Graham never forgot the uproar.
- Mack Wilson wanted to quit during trying 2020 season, then found motivation in new son (Browns Zone) - Linebacker Mack Wilson became so frustrated with his poor performance last year after a knee injury in training camp he contemplated retirement.
- Jerseygate 2021: The truth behind the orange Browns jerseys online (News 5 Cleveland) - Over the past week social media has been ablaze with theories and ideas regarding an orange Browns jersey that was listed for sale on the Fanatics Cleveland Browns Shop website.
- Bills, quarterback Josh Allen agree to 6-year contract extension (The Buffalo News) - The moment Buffalo Bills fans everywhere have been waiting for came at exactly 1 p.m. Friday. That’s when the team announced star quarterback Josh Allen has signed a massive, six-year contract extension that makes him the highest-paid professional athlete in Buffalo sports history.
- Raiders DE Carl Nassib ‘surprised by the big reaction’ after becoming first openly gay active NFL player (NFL.com) - Las Vegas Raiders defensive lineman Carl Nassib became the first openly gay active NFL player earlier this offseason. Talking to the media for the first time during training camp, the 28-year-old said he was amazed by the support from teammates and around the league.
- Robert Saleh captivates New York Jets with new-school coaching, folksy stories (ESPN) - After two disappointing seasons under former coach Adam Gase, the New York Jets have a new leader, a new energy and a new way of doing business. Robert Saleh has captivated the organization with his upbeat demeanor, streamlined practices and, yes, folksy stories, which he adopted from his mentor, Las Vegas Raiders defensive coordinator Gus Bradley.
- Steelers wideout James Washington requests a trade (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) - A few years after the Steelers made him a second-round pick, James Washington is ready to continue his career elsewhere. At least that’s the narrative according to a report Friday from ESPN, that Washington has requested a trade due to lack of playing time.