Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 8 (8/6/21)
1. Clowney Continues to Shine: After a day off on Thursday, the Browns were back to practicing on Friday, starting with seeing DE Jadeveon Clowney continue getting the edge over RT Jack Conklin. On this running play, it appears that the line wants Clowney to go outside and nudge him just enough for the running back to hit the seam on the right. But Clowney is too quick and disrupts the play.
Watch Jadeveon Clowney fly past Jack Conklin for the stop. #Browns pic.twitter.com/vaGKbv7cWb— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) August 6, 2021
2. Joe Thomas at Camp: Gone are the days of fans wishing former LT Joe Thomas would come out of retirement, but we still love the support he always shows for the Browns as an analyst now:
Former #Browns LT @joethomas73 live from camp for @nflnetwork & a man of the people. Always great to see the future @ProFootballHOF & watch his meteoric rise up the analyst ranks from afar pic.twitter.com/tyKPg2R7h2— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2021
3. Baker & OBJ Time: Ignore the video comment here, but this might be unprecedented for training camp: a quarterback and receiver working exclusively together for a portion of practice, while all the other receivers watch. In this case, it was QB Baker Mayfield and WR Odell Beckham Jr. doing reps together.
Baker & OBJ just repped about seven or eight routes on air. An exclusive workout while all other QBs & WRs watched behind them.— Ellis L. Williams (@BookofEllis) August 6, 2021
For 10 minutes, Beckham ran deep outs, curls and some double-move stops that all predicate around timing.
Attached: stunning video pic.twitter.com/MntcLI77d1
4. DPJ Can’t be Stopped: It wouldn’t be a Browns practice session this year without another star play from WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, who hauled in a deep rainbow pass from QB Baker Mayfield in 7-on-7 drills, drawing the approval of the crowd. CB Greedy Williams was reportedly flagged for holding Peoples-Jones on the play, but he still caught it anyway.
Donovan Peoples-Jones reaches out to haul in a deep ball from Baker Mayfield and runs to the house in 7-on-7. Fans go nuts and one yells “that’s what we thought Braylon Edwards was going to be, and then some.” See y’all in Canton #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2021
5. Chubb Springs Free: Running backs don’t usually get a lot of publicity or highlights during training camp, but here is RB Nick Chubb breaking free along the left edge for a 64-yard touchdown run:
#Browns Nick Chubb tuddie. pic.twitter.com/wFsGY4mfgj— Camryn Justice (@camijustice) August 6, 2021
6. Some Love for the Tight Ends: According to ESPN’s Jake Trotter, the tight ends had a big day on Friday:
“It was a big day for the tight ends, with David Njoku haulting in a 60-yard TD off a corner pattern from Mayfield. Austin Hooper had a big grab from Baker in traffic. And Stephen Carlson once again had a diving catch on a pass from Case Keenum for a first down.”
7. Brownies: CB Brian Allen had a pick six against QB Kyle Lauletta in 11-on-11 drills. ... WR Odell Beckham Jr. still has not taken any 11-on-11 reps. ... WR Anthony Schwartz, DE Takk McKinley, LB Anthony Walker, LB Tony Fields, LB Montrel Meander, S Ronnie Harrison, S Grant Delpit, and S Sheldrick Redwine did not practice. ...ESPN’s Jake Trotter said that DE Myles Garrett had the upper hand on LT Jedrick Wills by forcing him into a false start on one play and then having a would-be sack on the next. ... A total of 31 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
8. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Saturday at 2:25 PM. Then, the Orange & Brown Scrimmage will take place on Sunday at noon.