Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 9 (8/7/21)
1. Keeping it Light: Prior to practice, head coach Kevin Stefanski said that he would bring the tempo down for Saturday’s practice in preparation for the team’s Orange & Brown Scrimmage (practice) on Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium. According to the media in attendance, he wasn’t kidding, as no one was moving at full speed on Saturday:
#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said the team would bring the tempo down today, and he wasn't kidding. Practice was basically a jog through. Jarvis Landry was back after resting yesterday. Denzel Ward got rest today.— Nate Ulrich (@ByNateUlrich) August 7, 2021
2. In Addition: The updates from Saturday’s practice, which were without full pads, will obviously be sparse too. In terms of personnel news, the following players remained out: Tony Fields II (foot), S Ronnie Harrison Jr. (hamstring), WR Alexander Hollins (hamstring), LB Montrel Meander (hamstring), S Sheldrick Redwine (ankle), WR Anthony Schwartz (hamstring), and LB Anthony Walker Jr. (knee). It was also a rest day for CB Denzel Ward.
3. Precision Work: The other day, we noted how a portion of practice was dedicated specifically to QB Baker Mayfield throwing to WR Odell Beckham Jr. Here is what Stefanski said about that period:
“When you are talking about the pass game in general, it is about precision and it is about being accurate when you are throwing the ball, getting the right depth, running the right route and quarterback getting the right feel for how a receiver runs a route because all the guys are different. There is great value in the work those guys are getting. It is scripted. The coaches know exactly what throws they want to get an in what order. Those two, that battery has gotten a ton of great reps over there.”
4. Improving Each Other: RT Jack Conklin talked to the media about the challenges other teams will have facing DE Myles Garrett and DE Jadeveon Clowney, and the benefits of all the practice he and LT Jedrick Wills going against them will have.
“It is hard. Again, you saw last year and in year’s past, a lot of teams just double team Myles. When you get a guy like JD on the other side, you have to pick and choose. Are you going to double team this guy this time or are you going to let them both go one on one? It is just going to help our defense so much being able to have those two there and free guys up on the play. I think you are going to see much more pressure on the quarterback. They have been working hard. Every day, you can see me or Jed and JD or Myles talking on what we are working on and what we are seeing with each other and just helping each other out. It is such a great thing to have that camaraderie between the four of us.”
5. Being Human: According to Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, WR Donovan Peoples-Jones showed that he was “human” by not catching everything thrown his way for once:
“After a fantastic first eight days of camp, he struggled. He didn’t come up with a long throw from Baker Mayfield down the sideline with cornerback Greedy Williams in coverage, dropped an out from Mayfield and had another pass knocked out of his hands by cornerback Kiondre Thomas.”
6. Brownies: The quarterback RV has returned. ... DT Malik McDowell and RT Jack Conklin also had rest days. ... A total of 38 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year.
7. Next Up: The Browns will practice at FirstEnergy Stadium on Sunday at noon for the Orange & Brown Scrimmage.