Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 10 (8/8/21)
1. Delayed Due to Weather: A lot of fans came to enjoy the Orange & Brown Scrimmage at the stadium, but before it could get started, rain and lightning forced fans to take cover in the concourse:
They have cleared out the FirstEnergy stands due to inclement weather. Start time of the Orange-Brown now TBD pic.twitter.com/prvCMcaMLf— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 8, 2021
The delay wasn’t too long, though, as the practice routine was set to begin around 12:45 PM. Practice was originally scheduled to begin at noon.
2. Defensive Notes: CB Denzel Ward sat out of practice for the second day in a row, and he also had a sleeve on one of his legs. With LB Anthony Walker still out, LB Jacob Phillips was the signal caller in the middle of the defense. CB Greg Newsome, CB Greedy Williams, and CB Troy Hill were rotating reps in the secondary.
Additionally, a couple of reporters noted that DT Sheldon Day has continued to receive meaningful reps with the first-team defense. Due to injuries at safety, S Jovante Moffatt continued to get first-team reps alongside SS John Johnson.
3. Opening the Playbook: The Browns weren’t afraid to open the playbook when 11-on-11 drills started, even though S John Johnson blew up a fleaflicker attempt. Personnel wise, it was noted that WR Odell Beckham finally took part in team drills, although he was doing so at a jogging pace. With the way they’ve eased Beckham back, I hope Kevin Stefanski takes advantage of his deep receiving room and reduces Beckham’s workload this season to keep everyone fresh.
Early practice highlights: Baker's first throw of day to DPJ for a big gain; S John Johnson III blew up what looked like a flea flicker in the making; Kareem Hunt with a 43-yard run inside the 5, might have been a TD (they're not tackling) #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 8, 2021
4. Walking the Red Carpet: The star of camp might be WR Donovan Peoples-Jones on offense, but that doesn’t take away from what WR Rashard Higgins brings to the table. He made a diving touchdown catch in 7-on-7 drills against CB Greedy Williams. Speaking of Williams, a lot of the offense’s big plays this camp seem to have come against Williams.
Hollywood Higgins DIVING Touchdown and celebration at today's Orange and Browns scrimmage @CALLME_WOOD #Browns pic.twitter.com/oV7RwLMQwW— DynastyCLE (@DynastyCLE) August 8, 2021
5. Tight End Updates: Even though TE Austin Hooper has had a fine camp so far, he struggled during the scrimmage with three dropped passes. Meanwhile, TE David Njoku had a leaping touchdown grab (followed by the Chief Spike) in the end zone on a pass from QB Baker Mayfield. TE Harrison Bryant caught a touchdown pass from QB Case Keenum, beating S Richard LeCounte in the corner of the end zone.
6. Kicker Competition: It’s one thing to kick at practice, but it’s another to prove it at FirstEnergy Stadium. Distance has been a concern for K Cody Parkey, and on Sunday, he missed his long attempt from 49 yards while K Chase McLaughlin was 4-of-4.
Kicker watch 2021:— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 8, 2021
Cody Parkey: made 40, 43, 45, missed from 49
Chase McLaughlin: hit from 40, 43, 46 & 49#Browns
7. Still Can’t Stop Him: We know it’s not the first option, so for practice at least, DE Jadeveon Clowney continues to dominate. Let’s hope that translates healthily to the regular season.
Either the entire offensive line sucks or Jadeveon Clowney is next level— ChadP71 6elieve (@chadp71) August 8, 2021
8. Two-Minute Drills: The first-team offense went 0-for-4 against the second-team defense, failing on two opportunities. The second-team offense, meanwhile, scored touchdowns twice against the first-team defense: first with QB Case Keenum finding TE Harrison Bryant for a long touchdown pass, and then with Keenum hitting TE David Njoku on the short fade route.
Case Keenum finds David Njoku to end the practice. #Browns pic.twitter.com/W0VvWKzKF8— clevelanddotcom (@clevelanddotcom) August 8, 2021
9. Quarterback Negotiations: Right now, QB Baker Mayfield doesn’t give a damn about his contract status, he is focused on winning:
Baker Mayfield on whether he cares if extension negotiations linger into the season: “I’m not doing the negotiations so quite frankly I don’t give a damn. I’m worried about winning…” pic.twitter.com/OynrmhzCcz— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) August 8, 2021
10. Brownies: OL Michael Dunn saw some work as the second-team center. ... DT Malik McDowell left the field with a trainer and has an oblique injury. ... RB Demetric Felton saw some work as a slot receiver with the second-team offense. ... The second-team defensive tackles were DT Tommy Togiai and DT Jordan Elliott, while the second-team defensive ends were DE Porter Gustin and DE Cameron Malveaux. ... OL Blake Hance saw some second-team work at right guard, with Greg Senat at right tackle. ... JOK was active during his time on the field ... Tony Dungy spoke to the team after practice. ... It was estimated that 20,000 fans attended practice on Sunday.
#Browns estimate around 27,000 showed up to watch practice today @FEStadium— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 8, 2021
Some of the 27k represented in these photos courtesy of the great @TheMattStarkey & @Browns pic.twitter.com/iNH3NWvKPb
11. Next Up: The Browns are off Monday, and will practice again on Tuesday at 2:25 PM.