- How family and football saved Troy Hill (clevelandbrowns.com) - Cleveland cornerback Troy Hill’s family’s intervention helped transform him into the man he is today
- Why the Browns should start Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and Malik McDowell against the Chiefs (cleveland.com) - When the Cleveland Browns return to the practice field Monday to start installing the game plan for the Kansas City Chiefs, second-round linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and 2021 street free-agent pickup Malik McDowell should be in the starting lineup.
- Fourth year, four past Cleveland Browns, four big NFL QB names, where Baker Mayfield fits in (Canton Repository) - In this, Baker Mayfield’s fourth season, he will reveal important signs as to where he can wind up in the spectrum of the franchise’s handful of relevant QBs.
- Placekicking a great job — if you can keep it (Browns Zone) - Name a job in America in which, on one of your workdays, you do whatever it is you do for a total of 15 seconds. Believe it or not, there are at least 32 jobs in America that fit that description. And the money is very good: NFL placekicker.
- Why Dean Pees joined the Atlanta Falcons and is still scheming up defenses as he turns 72 (ESPN) - Dean Pees was in retirement — his second retirement — and it gnawed at him. The routine was similar, watching film every week and looking for nuances he could exploit. The reason was vastly different. Instead of game-planning to face quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Lamar Jackson, Pees watched opponents for a radio show on Fridays in Nashville, Tennessee. He liked it. But football, coaching football, has always been his love. The half-in, half-out approach — studying minus the rush of Sundays — wasn’t quite what he wanted. At age 71, Pees needed more.
- Fifty-six things to watch on the road to Super Bowl LVI (NFL.com) - COVID-19 will still certainly impact this NFL season to some degree. The frustration of some coaches with the unvaccinated is telling, and breakthrough infections among the vaccinated are something to watch. But the high vaccination rate among players — and the return of fans — gives the NFL a decent chance of keeping the pandemic from becoming the all-consuming headline story of the 2021 season. That means there is plenty of time for our 56 suggestions of things to watch on the way to Super Bowl LVI.
- Steelers acquire veteran CB Ahkello Witherspoon via trade with Seahawks (triblive.com) - When the Pittsburgh Steelers’ initial 53-man roster was revealed this week, there were hints that it wouldn’t be the group that took the field for the regular-season opener Sept. 12. Friday became the latest proof. The Steelers acquired veteran cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon via a trade with the Seahawks, sending a 2023 fifth-round pick to Seattle.
- David Patten, three-time Super Bowl champion and Lower Richland High standout, has died (The State) - David Patten, a standout at Lower Richland High School in South Carolina who went on to a long NFL career, died Thursday. He was 47 years old.