The Browns could possibly draft a pair of receivers in this year’s draft. Shakir would become the starting slot guy in Week 1 if GM Andrew Berry pulls the trigger on this special player and one of the highlighted players in this year’s Senior Bowl. He is currently ranked #96 as the Browns draft in the third round with pick #99.
Shakir is a human highlight reel. Great body control, great hands, 4.43 speed, 6’0, 196 pounds, understands how to use leverage, can find soft spots in zone, two time First Team All-Mountain West and just a quick guy.
Will fit perfectly in the slot which is what the Browns are looking for. No issues going across the field in traffic or running the jet sweep. His greatest negative is he has a very thin build so durability long term is a question.
College: Boise State
Weight: 196 pounds
Career Receiving Yards: 2,878
Career Touchdowns: 27
Career Receptions: 208
Career Fumbles: 0
Career starts: 39
- Top level yards after contact
- Good straight line speed
- Natural pass catcher
- Fluid at running jet sweeps
- Deep ball threat minute one
- Very good hands
- First Team All-Mountain West 2020 and 2021
- Knows how to beat press corner coverage
- Savvy, crisp route runner
- Plays fast and confident
- Good instincts/location when ball is in the air
- Solid body control
- Works best in the slot instead of the outside
- Small build
- Played against lesser competition
- One amazing catch then a drop
- Lacks initial burst off the line
- Downfield blocking needs work
- Played mainly in a spread offense in college
Expert Draft Site Analysis
Khalil Shakir is a sufficiently proactive athlete with regards to his initial quickness and long speed. He also shows adequate run-after-catch ability with the ball in his hands. In the passing game, he has sufficient initial quickness off the line of scrimmage. He has some separation quickness at the top of the route. He needs to attack leverage better but shows a good understanding of how to sit down in zones. He has good tracking ability on deep balls and shows hand-eye coordination to secure the catch.