The NFL trade deadline is quickly approaching at 4:00 PM ET today! Will the Cleveland Browns have any moves up their sleeve? A lot of that could hinge on what the health of QB Deshaun Watson is, but besides that, what about a move for another wide receiver, an offensive lineman, or shipping someone out who isn’t getting touches here like WR Donovan Peoples-Jones? Or, will GM Andrew Berry use this as an opportunity to try to accumulate even more draft picks somewhere?
This thread will act as a “live blog” of sorts, with brief but important updates about the latest rumors, signings, or trades involving Cleveland or other NFL teams. You should also use the comments section as your free agency open thread! (Newest updates will be at the top of the live blog below)
2023 Browns Trade Deadline Live Blog
3:42 PM: According to one report, Cleveland was not willing to offer much for Brissett, nor was any other team:
#Browns offered the #Commanders a 6th Rd pick for Jacoby Brissett, per @JPFinlayNBCS.— John Sabol (@John_Sabol) October 31, 2023
This goes back to my tweet earlier this afternoon that Washington holds all the leverage and would want more in return for Brissett….
3:36 PM: It looks like Brissett is not being moved:
3:10 PM: Browns trade away DPJ... for very little.
2:40 PM: Another one off the board with the 49ers loading up with more defensive line help and are reportedly giving up a 3rd round pick to do it:
Sources: Former No. 2 overall pick #Commanders DE Chase Young is being traded to the #49ers. Incredible. Likely a mid-round pick in 2024.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 31, 2023
After dealing Montez Sweat to the #Bears, Washington now trades Young to one of the NFL’s best. pic.twitter.com/pKuCkIw39U
1:39 PM: Josh Dobbs is on the move but not to Cleveland:
The #Vikings are trading for #AZCardinals QB Josh Dobbs, with plenty of starting experience, per me and @TomPelissero.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 31, 2023
It helps make up for the loss of Kirk Cousins. And gives MIN a chance… pic.twitter.com/TUEnTemakr
12:45 PM: As noted below, Chase Young is still available and discussions are being had:
Sources: The #Commanders may not be done... They are now taking calls on former No. 2 pick Chase Young. Could they trade both Montez Sweat and Young?— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 31, 2023
11:45 AM: Washington got their second-round pick in this deal which could open up things with Brissett and/or Young now as well:
Chicago will need to extend Sweat or give him the franchise tag for this to be worth it.
10:10 AM: What could be an indication that Watson’s injury is not healing, Brissett to Cleveland is possible according to a Washington-based reporter:
Josh Harris ok’d a James Harden trade last night, what comes today? Talked w a bunch of people across league and Montez Sweat trade seems most likely, especially if new contract on table. Multiple teams interested w NFC South a major player. Also been told Cleveland chasing…— JP Finlay (@JPFinlayNBCS) October 31, 2023
9:20 AM: Just a few notes from Jared on what I’ve heard around the Browns and the league:
- The belief is this year’s deadline won’t be too busy
- GM Andrew Berry has been very active but primarily around depth plays or late round pick/pick swaps
- Donovan Peoples-Jones is available but may not have a market that makes moving him realistic
- Trading for a quarterback, unless it is Josh Dobbs for a 7th-round pick to replace Walker, is unlikely
- Jacoby Brissett is available at a strong price point, Washington values him as a leader and could take over if Sam Howell struggles
- The team believes they will only go as far as Deshaun Watson takes them, spending cap or picks on a quarterback for a couple of games is foolish spending
- I would not be shocked if the Browns rule out Watson once again this week
- Berry is well-liked in the GM community as a trade partner because he’s always straightforward forward, doesn’t play too many games but always is aggressive
- One area Cleveland might spend a significant pick (4th or higher) is on a young defensive end to join Myles Garrett. They’ve at least talked Chase Young internally and checked in with the Commanders
9:00 AM: When we’re thinking about teams possibly trading players, you have to consider teams that are not in contention. For example, last night, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler noted that Bears CB Jaylon Johnson is requesting a trade. I wouldn’t expect Cleveland to make a deal for him since they are heavily invested in their top three cornerbacks, but there could be other talent on the likes of the Bears, Broncos, and Cardinals who may be on the market.
#Bears corner Jaylon Johnson has requested a trade, per source. Chicago granted permission to search for a new home before today’s trade deadline. The player and team negotiated a new contract last week but couldn’t come close to a deal. So, a talented corner is now available. pic.twitter.com/XCU5EsZqF2— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) October 31, 2023