While we can never predict what any team will do in an offseason, their history gives us some understanding. For the Cleveland Browns, this is GM Andrew Berry’s fourth year running the personnel department. While Kevin Stefanski’s coaching staff has seen turnover on defense and special teams, Berry is steady in his role.
Over his first three offseasons, we have seen a significant amount of double dipping from Berry. Instead of free agency wiping a position of his draft board, it has often led to a selection at that position in the ensuing draft.
2020 Browns Offseason
- Signed Jack Conklin, drafted Jedrick Wills for the offensive line
- Signed Austin Hooper, drafted Harrison Bryant at tight end
- Signed Karl Joseph, drafted Grant Delpit at safety
- Signed Andrew Billings, drafted Jordan Elliott for the interior of the defensive line
- Signed BJ Goodson, drafted Jacob Phillips at linebacker
2021 Browns Offseason
- Signed Troy Hill, drafted Greg Newsome II at cornerback
- Signed Anthony Walker, drafted Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah for the linebacker room
- Signed Malik Jackson, drafted Tommy Togiai again to address the interior defensive line
- Signed John Johnson III, drafted Richard LeCounte at safety
2022 Browns Offseason
- Traded for Amari Cooper and signed Jakeem Grant, drafted David Bell at receiver
- Signed Taven Bryan, drafted Perrion Winfrey to once again try to beef up the defensive line
- Traded for Chase Winovich, drafted Alex Wright and Isaiah Thomas for the defensive end room
Not all of those situations are the same but many of the team’s top draft picks have been made at positions that Berry addressed in free agency.
2023 Browns Offseason
Cleveland’s roster is not as bereft of talent as some would have you think but still has needs on the defensive line, once again, and either needs to bring back a few linebackers or add new ones. The safety position, with Johnson’s future up in the air and Ronnie Harrison a free agent again, is another area that Berry could double up.
With only David Njoku established at tight end, signing a free agent and drafting another tight end would make sense as well.
Where do you think Berry could double up this offseason?