Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 7 (7/29/23)
1. Full Speed Drills With Pads: Saturday marked the first day in which the Browns were set to have offense vs. defense with pads on, and head coach Kevin Stefanski said that you really can’t evaluate the interior line play without those pads being on. With that said, he emphasized how players will still be smart about the level of contact — for example, a safety who might have a free kill shot in a normal game, obviously won’t take that shot in practice.
2. Drill of the Day: Here is a drill of the offensive linemen hitting the sled:
3. Defensive Alignment: According to Zac Jackson of The Athletic, the Browns’ base defense included Justin Kunaszyk in the middle, and Jacob Phillips and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah on the outside. Michael Emerson was the outside corner in nickel, with Greg Newsome moving inside in that situation. The second-team defensive tackles were Siaki Ika and Maurice Hurst.
4. Veteran Taking Part in Team Drills: It was good to see WR Amari Cooper back in action, continuing to build that chemistry with QB Deshaun Watson:
Watson to Cooper is still automatic pic.twitter.com/KzJVMOaiX3— ESPN Cleveland (@ESPNCleveland) July 29, 2023
5. Schwartz’ Ups and Downs: WR Anthony Schwartz caught a deep pass from QB Deshaun Watson, although he seemed to be wide open. He also had a drop, per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram.
6. Baldwin Continues Impressing: Through the first seven days of camp, WR Daylen Baldwin continues to be a camp star of sorts. With the numbers game at receiver, though, it's hard to win a spot -- but if Marquise Goodwin is out indefinitely and Jakeem Grant doesn't make the team, maybe there is room for a Baldwin.
7. Ready to Unload: The Browns have one more practice session at The Greenbriar, but they are already starting to load equipment up in preparation of taking it back up to Berea.
8. Brownies: TE Jordan Akins might have had more than just a rest day yesterday, as he also watched practice on Saturday but with a sleeve on his leg. ... OG Colby Gossett practiced for the first time this camp. ... The Browns were doing blitz pickup drills, and RB Nick Chubb and LB Jacob Phillips got a little chippy at one point. ... WR Jakeem Grant and RB Jerome Ford missed practice for personal reasons. ... CB Thomas Graham had an interception off the hands of WR David Bell.
9. Up Next: The Browns’ next practice is Sunday, July 30 at 9:00 AM ET. It will be a shorter practice, and Kevin Stefanski will talk afterward before the team heads back up to Berea.